Saturday, November 6, 2010

Who will love me for me?

Beautiful, spiritual experiences can pop out of no where. I love these.

Today, while I was driving in the car, I was listening to the CD that Rob gave me for our 23rd month anniversary (2 years minus 1 month, holla!). On it, he put a song called, "What Love Really Means," by JJ Heller. As I was listening, I was moved to tears, being greatly reminded of the love that God has for all his people, regardless of our brokenness and our shortcomings. In the song, it says, "Who will love me for me? Not for what I have done or what I will become." We all want to be accepted and loved for who we want. We want to be LOVED. For who we are. Who we are, with the brokenness, flaws, and shortcomings that come with our bodies and our hearts. Sometimes, I ask myself: how can God (or anyone for that matter) love me, someone who is wholly broken and sinful? I am selfish. Unkind. Cold. Unloving.
The crux of the song is when JJ sings about a man in jail, "waiting to die," who comes to God asking for forgiveness. Someone who society would deem the most broken/fallen. But, when humbled and before God, he hears a voice from "within," telling him that HE will love him for him, now that he is listening.
We are no different than this man. We are no more broken or fallen than he is in the eyes of God. But God loves us equally and in spite of these failures and shortcomings. He showed us a love that we never knew and continues to show this to us.
He loves us. SO much. He shows us this all along. He is constantly telling us. But are we listening?

What a gift it is that you find people in your life who is able to show you the love of God, little pieces of the great love that covers us all.

And God confirmed ALL this through his sun rays shining through the clouds. What a beautiful God.

"Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers a multitude of sins."

Listening to: What Love Really Means, JJ Heller

No comments: